posted by Sakrete Wednesday, October 17, 2012 at 4:43 PM
Sakrete often gets asked the question "is Play Sand safe for my kid(s)?" The answer is, if you are ok taking your kids to the beach, absolutely! Now if you wouldn’t take your kids to the beach you probably shouldn’t use Play Sand either. A bigger question might be, “how much play sand can be removed by one child’s bathing suit or clothes during one visit to the sandbox or beach.”
Getting serious, let’s talk about how Sakrete Natural Play Sand is made . Sakrete Natural Play Sand's mineral make up is silica, which is the same as any beach sand. It seems that recently sand has gotten a bad name due to the industrial applications it is used in. When using sand in industrial settings, such as for sand blasting sand these can be broken up into very fine particles that if one is exposed to and inhaled for a period of time may cause health problems.
This isn’t the case with Sakrete Natural Play Sand since most kids (hopefully) won’t be doing any sandblasting.
For those still a little concerned, you can always keep the sand slightly moist which will prevent dry sand from flying up into children’s faces. This still doesn’t stop my neighbor’s kids from eating it, but that’s whole different story.
As an additional tip: when you put the sand into your kid‘s sand box it’s also a good idea to keep it covered to keep out leaves and dirt, plus it also has the added benefit of keeping out the neighbor’s cat from doing the unmentionable.
Other Sakrete Play Sand Uses:
1. Ballast – Help weight down things from signs, fences, basketball poles, truck beds, etc.
2. Landscaping – Drainage, dry up wet areas
3. Traction – For icy steps and walks, which is much better for the concrete and the environment
4. Pavers - Can be used to fill the joints between pavers when the joints are at least 1/8” in width.
Applications Sakrete Play Sand Should Not Be Used:
1. Aquariums - A commonly asked question is whether Sakrete Natural Play Sand can be used for fish aquariums. For that application, a special manufactured sand is needed which won’t affect the pH level of the water.
2. Pool Filters - Typically pool filters require a certain size sand that is used and unfortunately Sakrete Natural Play Sand doesn’t meet those coarse sand size requirements.
The Sakrete Team